John A. Bonello
JOHN A. BONELLO
John A. Bonello counsels businesses on a range of matters including intellectual property protection, information technology law, software licensing, technology transfers, privacy and security issues, business disputes, contract issues, and complex commercial transactions.
Mr. Bonello also represents clients before federal district courts throughout the country and the Court of Federal Claims, as well as courts of appeal and numerous state courts. During his many years of practicing law, Mr. Bonello has been involved in multiple trials, hearings, and oral arguments. Mr. Bonello has litigated matters involving myriad issues including trade secret misappropriation, non-compete and non-solicitation issues, copyright and trademark infringement, breach of contract, fraud, and prime contractor/subcontractor disputes.
Mr. Bonello is a panel member for the American Arbitration Association and the International Center for Dispute Resolution, where he has been selected to serve as an arbitrator in over 70 arbitrations. Mr. Bonello has presided over arbitrations with diverse issues such as a dispute between software developer and software reseller/distributor; contract and fraud claims arising from value added reseller arrangement between an Alaskan Native Corporation and software developer; misappropriation of an application programming interface; breach of product agreement dispute between beverage manufacturer and beverage bottler; and a dispute over an Oracle ecommerce platform integration.
Mr. Bonello previously served as a member of the Information Technology Association of America’s Application Service Provider Committee where he spearheaded the preparation of the ITAA’s “ASP Service Level Agreement Guidelines” and co-chaired a committee that prepared the ITAA’s “ASP Service Level Agreement Guidelines for the Health Care Sector.” Mr. Bonello has been a frequent speaker on information technology law issues. Mr. Bonello served on the Virginia Joint Commission on Technology and Science, Advisory Committee on Privacy.
Mr. Bonello received his B.A. degree in 1988 from the University of Notre Dame and his J.D. degree in 1991 from the Columbus School of Law, Catholic University of America, where he served on the editorial staff of the Catholic University of America Law Review.
- Microtechnologies, LLC v. FedStore Corp., No. CL2017-8945 (Fairfax County Circuit Court, February 14, 2018) (obtaining ruling on plea in bar that non-solicitation agreements were unenforceable against former Microtechnologies employees)
- Ronco Consulting Corp. v. Leading Edge Ventures, LLC, 2017 WL 6336609 (D. Md. 2017) (successfully opposed the prime contractor’s effort to vacate arbitration award in favor of subcontractor)
- Rodell v. Objective Interface Systems, Inc., 2015 WL 5728770 (D. Co. 2015) (obtaining partial summary judgment on former employee’s claims of age discrimination, retaliation, promissory estoppel, and wrongful termination)
- Trusted Intergration, Inc. v. U.S., 659 F.3d 1159 (Fed. Cir. 2011) (obtained reversal of dismissal of breach of software license agreement claim against the United States)
- Trusted Intergration, Inc, v. U.S., 679 F. Supp. 2nd 70 (D.D.C. 2010) (obtained favorable ruling allowing Lanhan Act claim against United States to proceed)
- Britton v. Technology, Automation & Management, Inc, 2008 WL 2477453 (D. MD. 2008)
(obtaining dismissal of unjust enrichment claim and clarification that board of directors may have sole and absolute discretion to determine whether employee can be terminated for cause).
- Dumas v. Easter Seal Society for Disabled Children and Adults, Inc. No. 2007.3364 (D. Md. 2008) (obtained summary judgment on employees’ discrimination claims prior to commencement of discovery)
AREAS OF PRACTICE
- Software Licensing
- Technology Outsourcing Transactions
- Service Level Agreements
- Privacy and Security Issues
- Internet and E-Commerce Law
- Intellectual Property Protection
- Complex Commercial Transactions
- Business Litigation
- Maryland, 1991
- District of Columbia, 1992
- Virginia, 2006
- Catholic University of America, Columbus School of Law, Washington, District of Columbia
- J.D. - 1991
- University of Notre Dame, Notre Dame, Indiana
- B.A. - 1988